Gingerbread cakes – makes 8
• 125g butter, chopped
• 2/3 cup golden syrup
• 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
• 2/3 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 2/3 cups plain flour, sifted
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon mixed spice
• Lemon zest, to serve
• Lemon icing
• 2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease an 8-hole, 3/4 cup-capacity mini loaf pan.
2. Place butter, golden syrup, sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until butter has melted and sugar dissolved (do not boil). Remove from heat. Add bicarbonate of soda. Stir to combine. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Add egg. Whisk to combine. Add flour, ginger and mixed spice. Whisk until smooth. Spoon mixture into pan holes until half-full. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Make icing Place icing sugar, lemon juice and boiling water in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Spoon over cakes. Stand for 5 minutes or until icing starts to set. Top with zest. Set aside until set. Serve.